Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fragility and Strength

I've been thinking a lot about the things our lives are made of and their fragility or, their tendency to shatter or break. We can't survive with out any of them. And almost everything is fragile. Promises are easily broken, and in turn trust. Hope can be torn to shreds in a moment as can plans and dreams and ideas. They all break down. They can all be ripped apart. They're all fragile. Our bones break. Our muscles tear. Our hearts shatter. Our cars break down. Our homes can be destroyed. Our belongings can vanish in a instant. When you begin to think of things in terms if fragility, you begin to realize how unstable our lives really are.
In turn, there are few things I personally can deem as constant.
Air. Air cannot be physically torn or broken or ripped. It can hardly be felt, yet it sustains our lives daily.
The earth, though it may implode one day or crash into another planet or some insane thing like that, is constant. It's not fragile in the sense that something I do could instantaneously destroy it.
The idea that so many vital things are so fragile is frightening yet oddly inspiring. We have been given the gift of perseverance on a daily basis to sustain life though these elements are so unreliable. Life really is a miracle, and I thank God daily for my fragility, for it is through my weakness that his strengths are made apparent. I will gladly be the fragile vessel if it means his glory may be shown through me.

{2 Corinthians 12:9}
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment