Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Colorblind

They say it isn't good to see things black and white. You're supposed to see the grey areas in between and have a little give and take. You're supposed to see things in full color. The idea behind this is that we don't see two starkly contrasted categories, but a mix of hues and pallets and colors where things can mingle and become one with another. This is nice, I suppose, in theory. It gives a bad man credit for the right he's done in his life. It makes second chances necessary because it proposes that maybe that one instance wasn't exactly representative of how it will be every time. But the way I see it, seeing in color gives all the negative things a foothold. It gives the advantage to the bad and disregards the good.
I'm not talking skin color or ethnicity or anything here, because when it comes to people, I'm a one color person. I don't see the color of peoples skin, I see, rather the color of their heart. And in this matter, I have no intentions of being color-sighted. I believe that sometimes, being colorblind is the best way to protect yourself.
When you see it in black and white, that boy who hit you is scum. He doesn't get another chance. That girl who kissed your best friend is a distant memory. She doesn't get to make a fool of you again. Those people who used you for your money or your fame or your popularity aren't friends. They're users.
Its a harsh way to view things, I understand. But I guess I'm bitter in that way. When it comes to people's intentions, for me, they are very plainly black or white. Good or bad. Wrong or right. I've been hurt too many times to give people much of a grey area to hide in. Being colorblind isn't a very accepted way to see things. We're supposed to give everyone infinite chances and forgive and forget and all that lovely jazz. But here's the thing, at what point do you stand up for yourself? At what point do you stop being a doormat? At what point are we "allowed" to say enough is enough.
Many of you may not agree with my black and white ideology, but for me, its a measure of self-defense. And I refuse to give it up. I used to be the infinite chance giver, believe me, so I wasn't born with mentality. I chose it. I chose to b e colorblind when it comes to other people and their intentions with me. And honestly, its a daily choice I make, some days are greyer than others and some are stark and apparent, but I choose, and proudly so, I choose to be colorblind. For the sake of me. No one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment