Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What is it about winter?

The winter is closing in fast. Although I know we'll have no snow, and hardly any frost, the chilling air is binding us closer than close. It's "sweater weather" and time for romantic nights by the fire place surrounded by friends and loved ones. I can't help but wonder why it's the winter that brings out our desire for human companionship. Maybe it's the chill in the air that makes us want to snuggle close with someone. Maybe it's the simple fact that we've made it almost twelve months without anyone to call your own. I wonder if the ones we daydream about dream of us. I wonder if they wonder if we're dreaming about them. I wonder if we find solace in cups of tea and oversized sweaters and fuzzy socks and cats because we're lonely on the inside. I know I am. I'm lonely inside and out and while I find no solace in cats in particular, the other things though, they appeal to me. Maybe it's the mistletoe at Christmas and the New Years midnight kiss. Maybe that's what makes the winter so nostalgic for relationships. Or maybe it's nothing in particular at all. Maybe winter is just a more romanticized time of year.



No comments:

Post a Comment