Friday, September 20, 2013

Books in essence

So, I've been reading a lot lately, a lot of fiction, a lot of romance, a lot of fairy tales, a lot of tragedies. They all seem to weave themselves together in a strange way to mirror different aspects of my life. Then again, I guess that's what all books do. I mean, that's why we continue to read them right? Because they whisk us away from our problems and our trauma. But something in them has to connect to something inside of us, of else we would never be connected enough to finish a book. Something has to tug on our heart, something has to pull us in, we have to relate to something or someone or some situation. For me, I have to like the main characters name. Stupid right? I read a book once, and I didn't like the girls name. It just wasn't pretty enough for me, and I couldn't find anything relatable and I didn't even finish the book.
I love those connections. I love thinking "oh my gosh I've been there" or "yeah I know exactly how that feels". I think we all do in some way. I think we all want to feel like we aren't alone, and that's we let ourselves get emotionally invested in the well being of fictional characters within the pages of a book.
Books are where we can run away and hide for as long as we want. Books are a safe place where nothing can happen to us and no one can hurt us. Books are a place where we can have innumerable friends and have adventures that we would be too terrified to attempt in reality. Books are a safe place. Yes, indeed, they are one of the safest places I know of. And I cherish every safe place I've found so far.

"Books don't offer real escape, but they can stop a mind from scratching itself raw"

No comments:

Post a Comment