Friday, February 15, 2019

Icarus

Every one talks about the fall of Icarus as though he was always in the sky and then one day he flew too high and fell. 
But what I like to see is his escape. 
Yes he was reckless, no he didn't listen, but would you?
Imagine spending your life trapped in a maze and finally breaking free. 
Would you honesty say that your first thought would be caution?
Mine would be freedom.
I like the hope of Icarus, the fact that he reveled in the freedom and he flew to the sun and dove toward the sea. 
I imagine Icarus free, shouting with joy and flying higher than he should because he was stuck for so long and doing lazy loops in the sky.
I like the joy that freedom must have brought him before he fell. 
Maybe because I have spent my life in a maze and I am finally making my own wings. 
Maybe because after being trapped, the exhilaration of flight is intoxicating and I'm ready to fly. 
So you mourn Icarus in the fall but I salute him in the flight. 
One day, I'll have wings of my own and I'll be free and I pray you'll salute me in my escape, even if I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment