Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Empty, Numb and Hollow

Glasses on, covers close, pillows piled high,  my mind wanders to you.
Music blasts through my headphones, the anthem of our past ringing loudly in my ears.
It doesn't hurt this time, since I expected it.
I prayed, hoped, wished, it wouldn't be so, and yet it is.

The fire that used to burn trickles out, doused by realization.
Love turns to hurt, hurt into callous, and soon I feel nothing.
I could touch the flame and never feel the burn.

All my poetic words for you have vanished, gone like a snowflake on the tongue.
Lasting only a moment, sweet and fresh and magical before dissolving into nothing.
Your eyes no longer hold the stars, your name no longer my world.

I'm clean, washed of your traces, of your stain.
Freedom never tasted so dull.
It came with no epiphany, no strength, no power.
Just nothing.
Empty.  Numb.  Hollow.
Like the hole in my chest is no longer filled with you, but with cotton, dry and full of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment