Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fault in Me

So I read The Fault in Our Stars today. Yes let's all take a moment to sigh or aww or Ooo or whatever you do when you hear someone's experienced some really beautiful, touching piece of art. But beside its beauty and the artfully written story and the heart wrenching plot, it gave me a sort of new view of myself. Augustus is so openly accepting of all of Hazel's quirks it's quite beautiful. And what I realized is that I try and change who I am for others. Not in a big way, but still. I have a tendency to dumb down my speech or not speak at all because I often throw in words of higher level vocabulary when they aren't needed. I say things like big and tumultuous together. I am not the scholarly person who uses incessant amounts of philosophical metaphors and speaks a soliloquy for a mere thought. I'm the girl who says "dude that was inconsequential". But through the inspirational words of John Green, I realized that one day, someone's is going to find my sporadic use of scholastic words enticing and quirky and cute and lovable. Not at all awkward or annoying or strange. Someday I'll find someone like Augustus who replies to my goofy quips with equally unequal ratios of stupid and brilliant. Someone who knows what all of my big words mean and maybe teaches me more. And starting now, I refuse to dumb down my vocabulary in an effort to make friends or find a significant other. My irregular vocabulary is part of the package and it's a beautiful, freaking awesome package if I do say so myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment