Thursday, January 23, 2014

People That I Used to Know

It's difficult to go through hard times without people  that have always been there for you in the past. At first I thought it was a one sided thing. That maybe, while your world was falling apart, they didn't really care. But that's not true at all, not for me at least.
When someone who used to be an intricate fixture in my life suddenly disappears, I find myself caring quite a lot. And when those things that make you wonder how life can be so cruel start to happen to that other person, it breaks my heart. I want to be there with a hug or a smile or a word of comfort or a simple cup of coffee. I want to stand by them and hold them up when everything falls apart. It's difficult to watch a world I used to be a part of implode from a distance.
We don't realize how much we rely on others to save us and to let us save them until we're watching hem struggle and we feel too far away. Or until we begin to struggle and they seem to be too far away to help.
Maybe I'm the odd man out.
Maybe I'm crazy for even caring what happens to someone I no longer associate with.

Or maybe, by the grace of God, I'm not.
Maybe its natural to care when things happen to people you used to know.
Maybe the human race is more genuine than I think.
Maybe I'd be surprised by how caring people who once left us can be.
I dearly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment