Thursday, January 16, 2020

Holding My Breath

Everyone has a different response to fear and mine is silly.
It's not really a solution, it's just an instinct that I don't know how to change.
I hold my breath.
I hold my breath so my brain can focus on the lack of oxygen and not on the panic or the fear or the hope.
I hold my breath so I can focus on the black spots that dance in the corners of my vision; so I don't have to focus on the brown eyes bright like amber lit through with sunlight in front of me.
I hold my breath so I don't have to think of anything other than the next breath I might breathe in; so I don't have to think about his voice or the things he's said or the way he's expecting me to answer him.
I hold my breath but I can only hold it for so long.
And when I finally let go, the world comes crashing in and my lungs burn from more than just the fresh air.  
They burn with fears and thoughts and words I'll never be brave enough to say.  
With reasons why we can't and why it's too late and why I'm not right for him.
And since I don't have the words or the timing or the courage, I just take a deep breath again and hold it until I can't anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment