Monday, January 21, 2019

Writing Prompt: The Last Person You Held Hands With

The last person I held hands with made my head spin.  It was late at night and it was sweet and meant nothing more than friendship but that didn't matter.  There was a movie playing, and we were surrounded by other friends and for a second, it felt like just the two of us.  Our intertwined fingers kept us connected over the twelve inches of space between us, but I felt like I was being tethered to the world.  In that moment, it felt like peace.  My heart was racing but I felt safe and loved and whole.
There were at least five people in that room and I was only touching one of them, but I felt like we were all holding on to one another.  I don't know if any of them feel detached from reality like I do sometimes.  He does, I think.  I think that's why we held on to each other.  Sometimes, I think both of us feel like we're seconds from floating away into space if we don't find something to keep us attached to ourselves and maybe we search for that feeling of security in each other.  I know I search for it in most of the people I meet.
I don't find that feeling in many people, and I rarely if ever reach out and touch them.  Maybe I should.  Maybe I should be braver and look harder and hold hands with more people, but I don't.  The last time I held hands with someone, it wasn't romantic the way most people might think.  But it did keep me grounded.  It made me feel safe.
Most days I just want to feel whole like I did in that moment and most days, I have no one safe to hold onto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment