Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Today

It's been a long time since I just let myself be.
A long time since I walked out of a building giddy with laughter and surrounded by friends.
It's been a long time since I feel this good about people.
 
I have been so bitter, so calloused, so cold, that I forgot what it felt like to make a friend.
But today...today was insane.
I let my guard down, I let these strangers see me for who I am.
My awkward timing, my sarcastic comments, my easily embarrassed disposition.
I let them see the real me.
The one who says dude a lot and smiles and snorts when she laughs.
The one who has a constant and irrational fear of doing something stupid and being judged.
And no one left.
No one gawked or jeered.
No one gasped.
No one was put off.
 
I spent a long time being ashamed of who I was.
I spent all of my friendships being judged for being too loud, too selfish, too nice, too this, too that, too much all together, that I think I started to believe it.
And today I was reminded that I am not too much of anything. 
I am the perfect proportion of every piece of me and I have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
 
I was me today, 100 percent me, and I actually made friends for the first time in six years. 
I actually have inside jokes again.
I have people who can look at me, and know what I'm thinking.
I have people who want to be around me, who laugh when I make a joke.
I have people who can make fun of me without being mean spirited.
I have people.
 
My face seriously burned for like an hour after class, because I was so worried that I had made a bad impression, but not one single memory of a mean glance comes to mind.
 
They liked me.
They actually liked me.
 
And I still cant stop smiling.
I look ridiculous, I look insane because I just smile for no reason, out of nowhere.
And I'm really freaking happy.
 
So, to the old "friends" who said I was a bad friend.  To the friends who abandoned me when I joined drill team just because it wasn't band.  To the friend who said I was selfish.  To each and every one of you, I send a sincere wish of absolute nothingness.
I don't hate you.  But I am sincerely glad you aren't around anymore.  Because you were all types of poison, and how dare you crush me that way and make me think I was worthless.
 
And to the people who laughed with me today, the ones that walked across campus and made me feel like I was worth something again, I send the most heartfelt thanks and a genuine excitement for what our futures hold.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment